- December 10, 2016
Hummus with pita chips
Hummus and toasted pita chips have quickly become our new favourite morning tea/afternoon tea/anytime snack.
The lovely Middle Eastern dip made up of a delicious concoction of chick peas, garlic, tahini, lemon, sea salt and pepper is creamy, luscious and beautifully savoury. For us, it’s the perfect accompaniment to a whole arrangement of healthy dipping edible utensils. Grace’s favourite dippers lately are carrot sticks, bright red tomato wedges and of course the lovely crispy golden homemade pita chips.
Watching Grace dig away eagerly at the hummus using her carrot shovel is just so adorable. I smile as she carefully surveys the hummus pile and excitedly excavates using her tightly clutched carrot stick all the while carefully watching the entire process with her mouth wide open ready for the next mouthful, she melts my heart.
Making your own hummus couldn’t be more straight forward. You simply place all of the ingredients; chickpeas, lemon juice and zest, tahini, garlic and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor and blitz until all wonderfully combined and creamy.
And the chips are just as easy; cut pita bread into triangles, arrange on a baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and grill for a minute or two, just until they are lovely and crisp.
- 400 gram tin chick peas, drained
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pita bread, cut into triangles
- Carrot stick and tomato wedges, to serve
- In the bowl of a food processor place the chick peas, tahini, garlic, zest and juice of lemon and olive oil and blitz until combined and creamy. Taste and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper accordingly. Decant hummus to a bowl and sprinkle with a little paprika (if desired) and drizzle with a little extra olive oil.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Place pita triangles on a baking tray and drizzle with a little olive oil. Grill for 1-2 minutes or until the chips are toasted and golden. Serve with hummus, carrot sticks and tomato wedges.