- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 10 mins
- 6 people
- September 18, 2016
Whole-Wheat Pasta with Tomatoes and Spinach
Higher in fiber and lower in carbs than regular pasta, this simple Whole-Wheat Pasta with Tomatoes and Spinach is full of flavors and nutrients.
This pasta is fresh and they keep it cooled at the market so if you are not using it right away keep it in the refrigerator or dry it out. Regular refined pasta last much longer and is lower in price, but is lacking the nutrient rich parts of the grain. Whole-wheat or whole grain pasta is made of the the entire grain kernel, including the bran, germ, and endosperm of the grain. Remember fresh pasta can spoil in a couple of days, especially here with all the humidity close to the beach, so make sure to cook it soon or or store it properly.
- 8 oz Whole Wheat Linguini
- 2 Tbsp Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Shallots - finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves - finely minced
- 8 oz Vine Ripe Tomatoes - cut into quarters
- Himalayan Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 4 oz Baby Spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese - freshly grated
- 2 Sprigs of Fresh Basil for garnish
- Bring water to boil in a large pot. Add the salt and gently put in the pasta strands.
- Cook the Linguini al dente, according to package directions.
- In a large skillet heat over medium-high heat one tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the shallots and cook for a few minutes until becomes translucent. Add the minced garlic, stir well and saute until the garlic turns light golden.
- Add the sliced tomatoes, season with Himalayan salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook only for a few minutes to keep the tomatoes from falling apart. Turn the heat low and stir in baby spinach and tear the basil leaves over the top.
- When pasta is al dente, transfer with a tong to the vegetable skillet. Add two to three spoonful of pasta water and toss to combine all ingredients.
- Serve with grated or shaved Parmesan cheese and a few basil leaves on top. Finally drizzle with a little extra virgin Olive Oil.