- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 35 mins
- 10 people
- March 17, 2016
Bird’s Nest Cupcakes.
Easy cake mix cupcakes with homemade buttercream frosting, decorated to look like bird’s nests with eggs! Perfect for spring and Easter!Print
Bird’s Nest Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 c. water
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1–2 tbsp. milk
- Gel paste food coloring (I used Americolor in Leaf Green)
- 1/2 c. shredded coconut
- 1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 package Reese’s pieces eggs
- For cupcakes:
- Place paper cupcake liners in each of 24 regular-sized muffin cups.
- Prepare yellow cake mix according to package instructions. (For me, this included 1 c. water, ? c. vegetable oil, and 3 eggs)
- Add almond extract to batter.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling about ? full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until cupcakes are golden brown on top.
- Cool in pan on wire racks for about 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pan, and cool completely.
- For buttercream:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, vanilla, and milk.
- Beat on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, adding more milk if needed to achieve a thick and fluffy consistency.
- Add green food coloring to desired color.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes using a grass piping tip, if available. (I used Ateco #133). If you don’t have that piping tip, just spread the frosting on the cupcakes! It won’t impact the decorations much!
- To assemble bird’s nests:
- In a small bowl, combine shredded coconut and cocoa. Toss until coconut is thoroughly dusted with cocoa.
- Place approximately 1 tsp. of the coconut onto the tops of the cupcakes.
- Arrange 3 Reese’s pieces eggs on top of the coconut, pushing the bottoms into the frosting so that they stay in place. Enjoy!