- Preparation time
- 25 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- Easy Recipes
- 4 people
- April 1, 2016
Chargrilled chicken and vegetable salad
A lighter version of the classic summer salad, perfect for barbecues.
Spring has finally sprung – and if you’re thinking it’s time to shed some of those extra winter kilos, this tasty salad is a good place to start.
Caesar salad with chargrilled chicken
For the dressing
- 30g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 tbsp low-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- juice 1/4 lemon
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- pinch white pepper
For the salad
- 80g little gem lettuce
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the croutons
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch black pepper
- 10cm length baguette or ciabatta, cubed
- 10g Parmesan cheese shavings, to top
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/gas 4. Mix all of the dressing ingredients together and leave to infuse.
- For the salad, break the lettuce into individual leaves, wash and thoroughly drain.
- Slice the chicken breasts in half to make them thinner, rub with a little oil then cook on a hot griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until thoroughly cooked through. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into strips.
- To make the croutons, add the garlic and olive oil to a bowl and crush further with the back of a spoon. Add the black pepper, mix well and coat the insides of the bowl with the mixture.
- Add the bread cubes and mix so all the bread is coated with some of the oil. Spread the cubes onto a baking sheet and bake in the preheated over for around 8-10 minutes, turning a couple of times with a spatula and being careful not to burn.
- To assemble, layer the lettuce in a shallow bowl, saving the smaller leaves until last, so you create concentric circles. Drizzle with the dressing, sprinkle with the croutons and chicken, and top with the Parmesan shavings.