- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 10 mins
- 20 people
- August 22, 2016
Cauliflower Fritters with Two Dipping Sauces.
The trick with these fritters is to really squeeze out the cauliflower after steaming it.
The more liquid you can squeeze from the vegetable, the crispier and lighter your fritters will be. Lightly seasoned, these are great munchables on their own, but you know how I feel about dipping sauces…
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1.2 tsp baking soda
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cut cauliflower into large florets. Place in a large steamer and steam until tender, approximately 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- To make the mint dip, combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- To make the roasted red pepper dip, combine all ingredients in a blender or blend using an immersion blender.
- Place cooked cauliflower in a large tea towel and, over the sink, squeeze out all the excess water you can, crushing the cauliflower as you go. There is a surprising amount of water left in the cauliflower after cooking, removing as much as you can will help your fritters stick together and not crumble or become soggy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, garlic, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. Add cauliflower, flour and baking soda. Since baking soda reacts with liquid, you will want to make sure you cook the batter soon after making it. If you intend to make this batter in advance and cook it just before eating, add the flour and baking soda right before frying.
- Using a slotted spoon or spatula, remove the cooked fritters from the oil and place them on a baking sheet lined with paper towel or a baking rack, so the excess oil runs off as they cool. Repeat this process with the remainder of the batter.
- Serve fritters warm or at room temperature alongside one or both dips.