- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 4 people
- December 28, 2018
Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet is the gluten-free version of a cheesy, stuffed burrito. Add everything into a skillet then simmer. So easy!
Start by bringing 1 cup long grain white rice, 1-3/4 cups chicken broth, and an undrained10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles to a boil. FYI: Rotel is NOT considered gluten-free (the ingredients are GF but Conagra does not test to validate that it’s not contaminated during processing.) Locals, I use HyVee’s version of “Rotel” or Red Gold also has a GF version.
Next add 15oz can black beans that’s been drained and rinsed, 1 cup frozen sweet corn, 2 small chicken breasts that have been cut into small, bite-sized pieces, and 2 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or a GF taco seasoning packet).
Bring the mixture back to a simmer then place a lid on top, turn the heat down to a touch below medium, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, giving the mixture a quick stir about halfway through.
Once the rice is tender, take the skillet off the heat then stir in 1 cup Mexican cheese blend. Sprinkle another cup of the cheese blend on top then place the lid back on top and let sit and melt for 5 minutes.
FYI: I remove a scoop of the mixture before adding cheese for Lincoln, who has a dairy allergy, then stir in vegan cheddar cheese for him in his bowl.
Last step: scoop onto plates, top with chopped cilantro, green onions, or avocados, and devour! I hope you love this yummy, warming, EASY skillet supper recipe – enjoy!Print
Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1–3/4 cups chicken broth
- 10oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 2 small chicken breasts (about 12-14oz total), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 2 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or 1 taco seasoning packet)
- 8oz Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Toppings: chopped cilantro, green onions, avocado
- Add rice, chicken broth, and canned tomatoes with juices into a large skillet then turn the heat up to high to bring to a boil. Add chicken (raw), black beans, sweet corn, and taco seasoning then bring mixture back to a simmer, place a lid on top, and then turn the heat down to just a touch below medium. You want the dish to be at a constant yet gentle simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender, giving the mixture a quick stir about halfway through.
- Once rice is tender, remove skillet from heat then stir in half the cheese. Top with remaining cheese then place the lid back on top and let sit for 5 minutes. Scoop onto plates then top with optional toppings and serve.