- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 12 people
- August 23, 2016
Fully-Loaded Baked Potato Muffins.
Sometimes when I sit down to write a blog post, the words just pour out of me. Other times… well, other times I end up staring blankly at my screen for two days and then googling ‘the history of the baked potato’ at the last minute in a desperate attempt to say anything- anything at all- besides comfort food on-the-go, so good.
So, you know, this definitely is going to be one of my most insightful pieces yet.
But honestly, what else needs to be said about taking a comfort food favourite and making it totally transportable. Slept-in, missed breakfast? No time between work/school and your extra curriculars? Grab a muffin and go. It’s all the satisfaction of a baked potato but requires no assembly, heating up, or utensils.
Did I mention they’re also really quick and easy to make? Right. That, too. One bowl, mix it all together, bake.
A lot of potato muffins out there are literally just mashed potatoes baked in muffin trays- delicious, no doubt- but I find they fall apart on the go. These beauties are plenty moist and potatoey, but hold together well thanks to the addition of flour and eggs, which act as binding agents. No fuss, no muss.
Cheddar, bacon, chives, sour cream… I mean, honestly, do I even need to say more?
Didn’t think so.Print
Fully-Loaded Baked Potato Muffins
- 1? cups cheddar, grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook bacon until crispy then coarsely chop it up. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and pepper together. Add coarsely chopped bacon, chives, 1 cup of cheddar and potatoes and mix to combine. Add sour cream, milk and eggs and stir until just combined- do not overmix.
- Lightly grease a muffin tray. Spoon ~1/4 cup of batter into each of the muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the last ? cup of cheddar. Bake for 20 minutes, until the muffins have risen and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.