- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 40 mins
- 2 people
- February 12, 2016
Meringue hearts with boozy berries.
Put the love into pavlova with a vanilla spiked strawberry and cream filling. This recipe makes enough meringue for two extra treats to nibble on later.
Meringue hearts with boozy berries
- 2 egg whites
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 200g strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 2 tablespoons strawberry liqueur
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar mixture
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 130°C. Draw six 10cm-long, 9cm-wide heart shapes on a sheet of baking paper. Turn over and place on a large baking tray.
- Use an electric beater to beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Transfer the meringue mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe an outline around inside of heart shapes, then pipe a little into centre of each heart and use a palette knife to spread to the edges. Bake for 40 minutes or until crisp and dry. Set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the strawberries, strawberry liqueur and icing sugar in a bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes to macerate.
- Use an electric beater to beat the cream and vanilla in a bowl until firm peaks form. Place 1 meringue heart on each plate. Top with the cream and strawberry mixture. Top each with another meringue heart. Dust with icing sugar.