- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 4 people
- March 11, 2016
Baked zucchini “boats” make a tasty vehicle for delivering a big pile of roast beef, onions, and peppers straight into your mouth, and they’re not bad-looking, either. If you’re a gardener or know a gardener (or you’re within donation distance of a gardener’s front door…) then you might be overflowing with zucchini at this time of year: this recipe puts a slightly different twist on them so they don’t get boring.Print
Steak Zucchini Boats Recipe
- 4 zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise;
- 1 lb thinly sliced roast beef, chopped into small pieces;
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 6 oz. button mushrooms, sliced;
- 1 bell pepper, chopped;
- 1 tbsp. olive oil;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Scoop out the center of each zucchini half to create “boats” with a hollow center, but make sure to leave a thick rim.
- Brush the zucchinis with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet placed over a medium heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in roast beef, season everything to taste, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring.
- Fill each zucchini with the beef mixture and serve.