- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 120 mins
- 8 people
- April 20, 2016
Mexican Beef and Bean-Stuffed Peppers.
Breakfast cereal is a unique ingredient that helps keep these hearty, colorful stuffed peppers low in fat and high in flavor!Print
Mexican Beef and Bean-Stuffed Peppers
- 1 1/2 cups original bran cereal
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato puree
- 4 medium bell peppers
- 1/2 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 can (8 oz) kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or crush in food processor). In medium bowl, mix cereal and tomato puree; let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut bell peppers lengthwise in half. Remove seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides up, in ungreased 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish.
- In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in cereal mixture and remaining ingredients except cheese. Divide beef mixture evenly among peppers.
- Cover; bake 40 to 45 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle each pepper half with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese; let stand 5 minutes.