- Preparation time
- 45 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- 4 people
- August 25, 2016
Pesto Potato Pizza.
A fluffy pizza crust slathered with homemade kale pesto then topped with potatoes and other delicious veggies.
Before I get to the recipe I have some exciting news. I shot the food photography for Jason Wrobel’s book Eaternity and it is now out in the wild! This book is crazy informative, beautiful and filled with delicious recipes. I’ll be hosting a giveaway for one copy, here on Vegan Yack Attack later this week, so keep an eye out for that!
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cornmeal for dusting
- 2 cups chopped kale, loosely packed
- 2 cups basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced potatoes
- 2 florets cauliflower, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup half-moon-sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade-cut fresh basil, for garnish
- Stir the sugar and active dry yeast into the warm water until it dissolves. Set aside and let it rise for 12-15 minutes.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Once the yeast is ready, pour it into the bowl, along with the olive oil. Knead the dough on a surface dusted with flour, for 3 minutes.
- Place the dough ball in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, for 30 minutes.
- (Make the Pesto)
- Preheat oven for 425?F, with pizza stone inside (if you’re using one).
- Take the raised dough and knead for another 1-2 minutes. Roll out flat, to about ?” thick; then carefully stretch the dough out with your hands until it is 14? wide.
- Make sure to leave the dough a little thicker around the edges for a good crust. Place the dough onto a pan or pizza stone that has a thin layer of corn meal on it.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the kale is very fine and it resembles a paste (not too fine!). Set aside until your crust is ready.
- Once the crust is ready to go, slather the pesto on top in an even layer. Place potato, cauliflower and tomato slices over the pesto; then top with red onion, artichoke hearts, and capers. Spray a thin layer of cooking oil over the top of the pizza then bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the outer crust is golden-brown and the potatoes have curled slightly.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of salt and fresh basil, serve warm.