How to pull off an elegant, effortless date night? Make the rich seafood broth the day before, then sear a couple pieces of fish and reheat the stew during the cocktail hour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fish or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 dried bay leaf
- pinch of sugar
- 1kg firm white fish fillets
- 12 medium green prawns
- 12 mussels
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- zest or grated rind of 1 lemon
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add tomatoes, stock, wine and bay leaf. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Add sugar.
- Cut fish into 3cm chunks. Peel prawns, leaving tails on, and devein. Scrub mussels and remove beards.
- Add fish to saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Add remaining seafood. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels. Spoon into bowls and top with parsley and lemon rind.