- April 1, 2016
Beans in red wine.
A great vegetarian dish with a deep savoury flavour.
Beans in red wine
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 115g red lentils
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 300ml red wine
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 tsp vegetable stock powder (use gluten-free vegetable stock powder to make this recipe gluten free)
- black pepper
- Heat a large, non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic and dry fry until soft. Add the celery, lentils and thyme.
- Pour in the wine, tomatoes and kidney beans and stir in the stock powder.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are soft, adding a little water if required. Season to taste.