- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 60 mins
- Easy Recipes
- 8 people
- February 5, 2016
Cheesy Potato Chowder.
This hearty chowder makes a great lunch or dinner. Serve with a green salad and slices of whole grain bread to complete the meal.Print
Cheesy Potato Chowder
- 6 medium unpeeled red potatoes (2 lb), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso™ reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/2 cups Green Giant™ frozen broccoli cuts
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 brick (8 oz) 2% milk reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)*
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, place potatoes; add just enough water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain. Reserve 1 cup potatoes; return remaining potatoes to saucepan. In small bowl, mash reserved potatoes with fork; return to saucepan.
- Stir in broth, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Add broccoli. Return to boiling; cook uncovered 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium.
- In small bowl, stir flour into milk with wire whisk until well mixed. Add milk mixture to potato mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and boils. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in sour cream and green onions; cook until thoroughly heated.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls.