- Preparation time
- 35 mins
- Cooking time
- 35 mins
- 5 people
- February 5, 2016
Southwest Potato Corn Chowder.
Yogurt and reduced-fat cheese put a healthier spin on creamy chowder.
Southwest Potato Corn Chowder
- 6 unpeeled medium red potatoes (1 1/2 lb), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 1/2 cups Green Giant™ frozen corn
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper (from a jar), well drained
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 container (6 oz) Greek Fat Free plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 medium green onions, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- In 3-quart saucepan, place potatoes. Add water just to cover. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and boil gently (simmer) about 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain. Reserve 1 cup potatoes; return remaining potatoes to saucepan. In small bowl, mash reserved potatoes with fork.
- Stir reserved mashed potatoes back into remaining potatoes in saucepan, along with broth, sugar, garlic salt, pepper, ground red pepper, corn and roasted red bell pepper. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In small bowl, stir flour into milk with whisk until well mixed; stir into potato mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and boils. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt, cilantro and green onions. Serve topped with bacon and, if desired, additional green onions.