- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 25 mins
- 3 people
- March 17, 2016
Easter Chicks Lemon Cookies.
Simple lemon cake mix cookies decorated to look like Easter chicks.
Easter Chicks Lemon Cookies
- 9 orange candy slices
- 1 box lemon cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. shortening
- yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- small amount of orange frosting
- The edges of the orange slices sort of form a triangle, which makes for a perfect beak. Cut off about ? inch of the edge of each orange slice, and set aside to use as beaks.
- To prepare cookies, in a large mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, eggs, and shortening until well-blended.
- Add several drops of yellow food coloring if you want the yellow color of the chicks to be brighter.
- For each chick, roll two balls of dough. One ball should be about 1? inches, and the other should be about ? inches. Just make sure that one ball is a good bit larger than the other.
- Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet with the smaller ball just touching the larger ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until edges of cookies are golden brown.
- Remove from heat, and while the cookies are still warm, press in two mini chocolate chips for the eyes.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet to a wire rack to cool completely, being careful not to break the chicks apart.
- Once cookies are completely cool, using a parchment bag fitted with a #4 tip, pipe orange frosting onto the bottom of each chick for the feet.
- Using a dot of orange frosting, 'glue' an orange slice beak onto each cookie. Devour!!