- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 35 mins
- 5 people
- April 4, 2016
Healthier, Dairy Free Belgian Waffles.
Healthier, dairy free Belgian waffle recipe. These waffles are made with almond milk and coconut oil, making them lower in calories, but just as delicious as regular Belgian waffles!
Healthier, Dairy Free Belgian Waffles
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- more melted coconut oil for the waffle iron
- desired toppings, such as berries, pure maple syrup, peanut butter, coconut whipped cream, powdered sugar or jelly.
- Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacturers directions. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Set a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment (or in a medium size mixing bowl with a hand blender), beat the 4 egg whites over medium speed for 3-5 minutes until soft peaks form. Then, turn the speed to high for 1 minute until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- While the egg whites are beating, combine the wet ingredients. In a different medium size mixing bowl, add the 4 egg yolks and sugar. Whisk by hand for 30 seconds until combined. Add the almond milk, coconut oil and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine. A few lumps are ok.
- Lastly, add the beaten egg whites to the waffle batter. Very, VERY gently fold the egg whites into the batter until just combined. You want to keep the egg whites as fluffy as possible. This will keep the batter light, give you lots of bubbles in the batter, which will make the waffles light and crispy.
- Use a heat proof silicon brush to brush melted coconut oil onto your waffle iron. Add enough batter to cover the griddle, and cook according to manufacturers instructions to desired crispiness.
- When waffles are done cooking, transfer the cooked waffles to the rimmed baking sheet, and keep warm in the oven.
- Serve warm topped with fresh berries and maple syrup.
- Any leftovers can be frozen in a freezer safe ziploc bag for 3 months. You can reheat them in a toaster (if they fit), or bake them on a wire rack rimmed baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10ish minutes until crispy again.