- Preparation time
- 40 mins
- Cooking time
- 65 mins
- 8 people
- May 25, 2016
Hungry Boys’ Casserole.
Here’s a hearty tummy-warming beef casserole made with Progresso™ chickpeas – a flavorful dinner.Print
Hungry Boys’ Casserole
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16-oz.) can baked beans, undrained
- 2 cups Progresso™ chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained (from 19-oz can)
- 1 1/2 cups BEST® All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sliced stuffed green olives
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- In 12-inch skillet, combine ground beef, celery, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until beef is browned and thoroughly cooked and vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Drain. Reduce heat to low. Stir in tomato paste, water, paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add baked beans and garbanzo beans; simmer while preparing biscuits, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt; mix well. With pastry blender or fork, cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in enough milk until mixture leaves sides of bowl and forms a soft, moist dough.
- On floured surface, gently knead dough 8 times. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch doughnut cutter. Reserve dough centers. Reroll dough to cut additional biscuits.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of beef mixture. Pour remaining hot beef mixture into ungreased 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Arrange biscuits without centers over hot beef mixture. Stir olives and almonds into reserved 1/2 cup beef mixture; spoon into center of each biscuit. Top each with biscuit centers.
- Bake at 425°F. for 15 to 25 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.