- Cooking time
- 40 mins
- 12 people
- May 7, 2016
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Greek Yogurt Frosting.
Incredibly moist lemon poppy seed muffins, topped off with a delicious frosting, are sure to be the hit of your Easter brunch! These muffins have a delightful lemony flavor and the Greek yogurt frosting gives these babies the perfect amount of sweetness.Print
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Greek Yogurt Frosting
For the lemon poppy seed muffins
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar.)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 cups flour (I used whole grain spelt flour. Whole wheat pastry, all-purpose gluten-free or all-purpose flour would all work well.)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup applesauce or another ? cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Any milk will work.)
- Juice from 1 lemon
For the Greek yogurt frosting
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt (I used nonfat.)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds or Chia seeds
- 1 packet Stevia (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and prepare a muffin baking pan with cooking spray or muffin cups.
- Combine sugar and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Use your fingers to rub zest into sugar, which will create an increase in the citrus flavor. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds.
- In a separate mixing bowl, stir together eggs, coconut oil, applesauce, milk and lemon juice.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently stir to combine and only until the flour is fully incorporated into the liquid. Do NOT overmix.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes and until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then transfer the muffins to a baking rack to cool completely.
- While muffins are baking, stir together frosting ingredients. Once muffins are completely cooled, spread frosting over tops of muffins and garnish with a small lemon slice- enjoy!