Transform light-as-air pastry into creme patissiere profiteroles and serve solo, or pile them high into a croquembouche.
Leave it to the French to come up with the classiest way of doing an ice cream sundae. Hide the grown-up coffee ice cream inside a crisp puff of pastry (the same dough that cream puffs are made from), then drizzle it with full-bodied chocolate sauce.
Profiteroles: delicate recipe of eclairs
for choux pastry:
- 150 g flour,
- 1 Cup milk,
- 3 tablespoons water,
- 100 g butter,
- 3 eggs,
- 0.5 tsp sugar,
- pinch of salt,
- for custard:
- 500 ml of milk,
- 1 Cup sugar,
- 3 egg yolks,
- 200 g butter,
- 3 tbsp flour,
- 10 g of vanilla sugar,
- 200 g of chocolate.
- Prepare cream custard cakes. To do this, RUB the yolks, pour in warm (but not hot) boiled milk and mix.
- Put the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and stir gradually into the dry mixture with the milk and the egg yolks.
- Put the cream on the heat and, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula or whisk, boil on a slow fire until thick, without boiling the custard. Once the cream thickens, remove it from heat.
- Add in custard ? of the butter and blend with a mixer. Cover the cream and leave to cool.
- Blend with a mixer the remaining butter (the butter must be cold) until very fluffy. In the process of whipping gradually enter the chilled cream into butter and continue to whisk the custard until smooth.
- Prepare the dough for the eclairs. In a saucepan put the milk, water, butter, salt, sugar and, stirring, bring the liquid to a boil.
- Intensively stirring the liquid with a wooden spoon, give all at once the sifted flour and continue to quickly stir, until the bottom of the pan starts to form a dense mass.
- Reduce the heat and, continually stirring, cook the dough for 1-2 minutes, until it's welded and will not easily begin to fall behind the walls and bottom of the pan. Take the pan from the heat and let custard cool slightly, test.
- In a warm (but not hot) dough one by one enter the eggs and after each good will the dough. The finished dough should be homogeneous and well sliding from a spoon wide ribbon.
- Making a baking tray with baking paper. Using a pastry bag or plastic bag otside future eclairs in the form of strips with a length of approximately 6-7 cm and a width of 2 cm.
- Custard cakes during the baking process increase in volume almost in half, so they need to be arranged on the baking sheet at a distance of 5-6 cm from each other.
- Send a baking sheet in a preheated 200°C oven and bake billet eclairs for 20 minutes, so they flushed. Then reduce the temperature to 160°C and douse billet 10-15 minutes.
- Empty billet eclairs on a rack and let them cool. Cut down on the workpiece gently to the side and, if there is moist inside crumb, take it away.
- Using a pastry bag or syringe fill the blanks custard. Fields on top of the eclairs with melted chocolate.
- Before serving, chill the cake well.