- March 12, 2016
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs Recipe.
Imagine staggering home after a long day to find the whole kitchen filled with the delicious smell of beef ribs slowly braising in homemade beef stock and red wine, with rich tomatoes and fresh herbs for flavor – is your mouth watering yet? This simple slow-cooker recipe is a must-have for the colder months: it’s a testament to the fact that “comfort food” doesn’t have to mean cheap processed carbs if you know how to cook!
- 3 to 4 lbs. bone-in short ribs
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 to 2 cups dry red wine
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp. tapioca starch
- Cooking fat
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat some cooking fat in a large skillet placed over a medium-high heat.
- Brown the short ribs on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per sides. Transfer the short ribs to a slow cooker.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to the skillet and cook over a medium-high heat, stirring often, until the onions are browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tapioca starch and tomato paste to the skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the wine, and bring to a boil; then lower the heat to medium and let it simmer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf, stir in the beef stock, and stir until well combined.
- Pour the sauce over the short ribs and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.