- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 4 people
- July 31, 2016
Rustic Arugula Flatbread
Today is the official start of the 3-day trade show segment of Natural Products Expo West, and after the warm up yesterday, I am crazy anxious to get the ball rolling! I can’t wait to share a lot of the new, vegan products out there that are being offered by brands you know and love, and then some. I’m not even sure that I’ll be able to get everything organized right after Sunday is over; but sometime next week there will be a barrage of pictures and anecdotes flooding the homepage of Vegan Yack Attack! But, until the expo is over, I have another fantastic recipe for you.
As I was anticipating the arrival of my dear friend Amanda (whom I frequently cook for) on Sunday afternoon, I was thinking of different recipes to make and somehow a flatbread came to mind. I knew that I wanted to incorporate some greenery into the recipe, so I picked up some baby arugula and got to working out the details.
One of the great things about having a witness to your cooking, is that you can allow them to put you in front of the camera. Although, I can still decide what shows up on here, obviously. So, I put together this recipe by using some others that I’ve made in the past, such as a variation of a delicious cashew spread and the crust which I made with more whole wheat flour in it.Print
Rustic Arugula Flatbread
- 1 Tbsp. Rapid Rise Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Warm Water
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp. Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- (Additional Olive Oil for brushing lightly over crust)
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews, Soaked 2 Hours
- 1/4 Cup of Water (depending on what consistency you want)
- 2 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Baby Arugula
- 1 Cup Yellow Crook Neck Squash, Sliced
- 1/3 Cup Smoky Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Julienne Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Mix the yeast with the lukewarm water until the yeast is dissolved. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the 1 tsp. salt, olive oil, and agave nectar in with the yeast water. Combine the flours and Italian seasoning, then add the wet mixture to the flour. Knead dough until it is fully mixed.
- Roll dough into a ball and let sit in an oil coated bowl for 20 minutes. While that is rising, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place the soaked cashews, ? cup of water, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper into a food processor and puree until smooth.
- After the dough has risen, roll it out to roughly ?” to ?” thick, and place on pan or pizza stone. Put it in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Take it out and brush a light coat of the olive oil over it. Spread the cashew mixture over the crust, top with arugula, squash, and sun-dried tomatoes. Bake in the oven for an addition 10-15 minutes, or until the outer crust is golden.
- While the flatbread is baking, pour the balsamic vinegar into a small pot and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Lower the heat a little and let it simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Once the flatbread is done baking, and has cooled (wait 5-10 minutes), drizzle the balsamic reduction over the top and serve.
*I’m trying out a new recipe Plug-In, let me know how you like it (or if you don’t). I’d love to hear your feedback!