- Preparation time
- 20 mins
- Cooking time
- 50 mins
- 8 people
- February 2, 2016
In late summer and autumn apple charlotte – one of the most popular recipes for baking. And prepare apple pie with apples everyone can – so it’s easy and fast! And what flavor will spread in the house! What a marvelous taste of this simple apple pie!
Charlotte with apples – recipe, gather all the family and friends for a cup of tea and a nice chat!
- 1 Ts butter (to grease the baking tray)
- 3 large Bramley apples, cut (skins peeled off if desired but I don’t do it)
- some cinnamon to powder the apples
- 4 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 200 g (about 7/8 of cup) sugar
- 1 ts vanilla extract
- 150 g (1 cup) plain flour
- Begin by cutting up the apples. I cut the apples for my Russian apple Sharlotka into quarters, cut out the core, then cut every quarter into halves and then slice across in 3-4 mm pieces. Powder the cut apples with some cinnamon, shake well and put aside.
- Grease the baking tray with butter. It is better to use a cake mould with a hole in the middle.
- Turn on the oven to 170 degrees C (338 F)
- Make the batter for Sharlotka. Beat the eggs with salt and sugar until all the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is much lighter in colour (about 5 min in high speed), add vanilla. Sieve the flour in and mix quickly on slow speed (don’t beat!). The finished batter should have the consistency of American / Scotch pancakes batter or about that.
- Pour a little batter to the bottom of the baking tray, just to cover the bottom. Put all the apples pieces on top, shake to even up. Pour the rest of the batter on top of apples, try to get it evenly among the apples. The batter will hardly cover the apples up, it’s OK. Shake again to let the batter go down through the apple slices.
- Bake the Russian apple Sharlotka in the middle of the oven for about 30-35 minutes. Check with the toothpick if the cake is ready.
- When ready let Russian apple Sharlotka cool in the baking tray a bit. Then run a knife along the sides and the middle of the baking dish to free the cake and take off the side of the baking mould. Now run the knife on the bottom under the cake. Take the cake stand and put it upside down on top of the cake in the baking tray. Now flip over with care and the cake will fall down on the cake stand. The ready apple Sharlotka is now the right side up.
- Serve Sharlotka warm or cold. If desired, accompany with whipped cream, custard or vanilla ice cream, clotted cream is great too!