- April 3, 2016
Spicy Beer Shrimp with Smokey Creamy Saison Polenta and Lime Crema.
I’m still in shock.
A few days ago I was given word that I’m a finalist for a Saveur award for BEST Original Recipes. Best on the entire internet and in the entire world. Out of the millions of food blogs out there and out of the 30,000 they considered, they chose The Beeroness as one of the six best.
I’d love to tell you that I feel justified, or vindicated. But really, I feel humbled. I feel honored. I even feel a little overwhelmed.
I want you to like what I’m doing. I want you to make my recipes for your family, I want them to become your recipes, for these recipes to be a great excuse to explore craft beer. But I never really needed it to be more than that, more than just me and you making some beer food and sharing it over a few pints.
And the Saveur goes and makes me want this too. I want to win it, for us, for the love of beer food.Print
Spicy Beer Shrimp with Smokey Creamy Saison Polenta and Lime Crema
For the Polenta:
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Saison beer
- 1 cup dry polenta (corn grits)
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 wt oz smoked gouda, shredded
- Salt and pepper
For the Shrimp:
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili flake
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbs butter
- 3 clives garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup saison beer
For the Crema:
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Heat the chicken broth, water and beer in a pot over medium heat. Add the polenta and cook over a low simmer, stirring occasionally, until creamy. About 30 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheese, add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the polenta is cooking, make the shrimp.
- In a small bowl stir together the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red chili flavors, smoked paprika and salt, set aside.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the beer.
- Add the shrimp, sprinkle with seasonings.
- Cook the shrimp until pink, remove from heat.
- In a small bowl stir together the crema and lime.
- Plate the polenta, top with shrimp and avocado slices, drizzle with crema.