- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- Cooking time
- 15 mins
- 4 people
- October 1, 2016
Best Macaroni & Cheese
There are many Mac & Cheese recipes that excite us, not just because of the comforting delicious feeling you get when you take a bite of it. A simple mac & cheese brings you back to those carefree childhood days. Of course we have to add a splash of wine to this not so childish recipe to keep in theme with Wine Dine Daily! In this lighter version we do not use flour and the wine adds a little zippy, unique flavor.
- 1 Lb Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni - cooked and drained
- Sea Salt - use generously for the water
- 2 cups Almond Milk
- 12 oz - 4 cups Gruy?re Cheese - Shredded
- 1 cup - 4 oz White Cheddar
- 1/2 cup White Wine - we used a buttery Chardonnay
- 8oz Sour Cream
- Sea Salt and White Pepper - to taste
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup dry Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs - finely ground
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese - grated
- 4-5 Thyme Sprig - leaves removed - keep a few fresh leaves for decoration
- Preheating to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter a large baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni in plenty of salted boiling water until becomes al dente. Drain pasta
- In the meantime heat milk in a large sauce pan or pot over low heat. Add the Gruy?re cheese and continue to stir until melted. Remove from heat stir in the cheddar the white wine and sour cream. Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- Fold in pasta and gently stir until completely mixed. Pour mixture into the baking dish.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan and stir in breadcrumbs and toast until light golden in color. Add the Parmesan cheese, thyme leaves and sprinkle over the top of your macaroni.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until nice deep golden and crisp on top.