- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- 4 people
- April 22, 2016
Chicken and Romaine Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing.
Chopped grilled chicken served with slightly charred romaine halves and a homemade ranch dressing.
Chicken and Romaine Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup coarsely grated yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pushed through a press
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, each about 6 ounces
- 2 hearts of romaine, about 12 ounces total, each cut lengthwise in half, trimmed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint small cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk the dressing ingredients. Place the chicken in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in 1 cup of the dressing. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the dressing, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate the remaining dressing.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- Remove the chicken from the bag, shaking off and discarding the excess dressing. Grill the chicken, smooth (skin) side down first, over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until the meat is firm to the touch and opaque all the way to the center, 8 to 12 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut the chicken into chunks.
- Lightly brush the romaine halves on both sides with oil and grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until slightly wilted, about 2 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill.
- Serve the romaine warm with the chicken, dressing, tomatoes, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.