- Preparation time
- 60 mins
- Cooking time
- 180 mins
- 24 people
- February 10, 2016
Surprise-Inside Valentine’s Cupcakes.
Cut into these cupcakes to reveal a surprise cookie heart! Perfect to serve to your loved ones on Valentine’s Day!Print
Surprise-Inside Valentine’s Cupcakes
- 1 pouch sugar cookie mix
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- To make Heart Cookies: Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, stir Heart Cookie ingredients until soft dough forms. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured surface. Cut out at least 92 cookies with 1-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute. Remove to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- To make Cupcakes: Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. Beat Cupcake ingredients in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally (batter will be lumpy).
- Spoon 2 level tablespoons cake batter into each of the paper baking cups. Place row of 3 heart cookies in middle of each cup, standing up in batter. Mark cup or make small cut in cup to identify front of each cupcake. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon remaining cake batter over heart cookies in each cup, being careful not to tip cookies over.
- Bake cupcakes 22 to 27 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan; remove to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- To make Frosting: Beat marshmallow creme, 1 cup softened butter and 1 tablespoon of the milk in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Beat in powdered sugar. Add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until fluffy and spreadable. Pipe or spread frosting on the cupcakes.
- Place remaining heart cookies on tops of cupcakes with front of each cookie facing front of cupcake. (People will know which direction to cut or bite into cupcakes to see the hearts.)