- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- 6 people
- May 20, 2016
Sweet and Sour Chicken.
Chicken Helper® sweet & sour chicken, vegetables and pineapple—a colorful dinner that’s ready in just 30 minutes!Print
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 box Chicken Helper™ sweet & sour chicken
- 2 cups water for rice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups hot water for sauce
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained
- Pour rice (from Chicken Helper box) into 2-quart saucepan. Add 2 cups water. Heat just to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 20 minutes, without stirring, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken into 1-inch pieces; pat dry if necessary. Place chicken in medium bowl. Add seasoned coating (from Chicken Helper box); toss to coat.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell peppers; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet. In same skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Carefully add chicken; cook about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown on all sides.
- Carefully pour 1 1/4 cups hot water into skillet with chicken; stir in sauce mix (from Chicken Helper box). Return vegetables to skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens and chicken is no longer pink in center. Stir in pineapple; heat until hot. Serve over rice.