- Preparation time
- 40 mins
- Cooking time
- 40 mins
- 4 people
- September 28, 2016
Wild Rice & Arugula Salad with Bacon & Fried Goat Cheese
It’s a wonderful combination of flavours and textures and while you could omit the goat cheese, why would you? I don’t think I could ever turn down goat cheese coated in a panko mixture and fried until deliciously crisp on the outside and warm and creamy on the inside.
If you’ve never fried your goat cheese, try it out. You’re welcome.
The trick, I found, is to freeze the coated cheese slices for about 30 minutes. Simply slice the goat cheese into 1/2-inch slices, coat with an egg then panko mixture, and freeze. This won’t completely harden the cheese but it will firm it up enough that it’ll keep it’s shape when frying. The last thing you want is a melty, cheesy mess all over your frying pan instead of in your belly.
- 1 100g log of goat cheese
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup wild rice mix
- 9 slices bacon
- 3 handfuls of baby arugula
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare the cheese: slice goat cheese into six ?-inch slices. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together panko crumbs, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. In another small bowl, whisk egg. Remove goat cheese from the freezer, dip each slice in the egg, then the panko mixture, patting down sides to coat. Repeat with all cheese, then place in the freezer for 30 minutes. (Freezing will help the cheese keep shape when frying)
- Make the rice: according to package instructions.
- Make the bacon: Line a baking pan with foil and place a wire rack on top. Place bacon strips on the rack and bake for 20-25 minutes until bacon is cooked and crispy. Let cool, then pat down bacon with paper towel to sop up grease, and crumble.
- Make the dressing: whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Toss together the rice, bacon, arugula, pomegranate seeds, and dressing. Divide onto plates; set aside.
- Heat about 4 Tbsp oil in a small, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add goat cheese slices, cooking about 2 mins per side until browned. Top each salad with 2 slices of goat cheese and serve immediately.