- March 12, 2016
Apple Butter Chicken Recipe.
Homemade Paleo apple butter is very tasty, but without crackers and muffins to smear it on, it’s not always obvious how to use it. “Eat it off the spoon” works for about half the jar, but it’s nice to have some other options, too. Here’s one way to get the flavor in without a sugar overload: slow-cooker apple butter chicken. Just a pinch of spicy sauce and a little Dijon mustard add some complexity to the flavor, but they still don’t make the recipe in-your-face spicy, just a little warmer.
- 3 to 4 lbs. chicken thighs;
- 2 cups homemade apple butter;
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard;
- 1 tbsp. coconut aminos;
- 1 tsp. sriracha or hot pepper sauce;
- 1 tsp. paprika;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- In a bowl, combine the apple butter, Dijon mustard, coconut aminos, hot pepper sauce, paprika, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over high heat. Brown the chicken thighs for 3 to 4 minutes per side, and place in the slow cooker.
- Pour the apple butter sauce all the over the chicken and stir until well coated.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low about 8 hours, or on high for about 4 hours.