- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 50 mins
- Easy Recipes
- 8 people
- April 29, 2016
Croque Monsieur Soup.
A twist on the classic French bistro sandwich — creamy cheese soup with ham, topped with a thick slice of cheesy French bread — Ooh la la!Print
Croque Monsieur Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 large sweet onions, cut in half and thickly sliced (4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Progresso™ unsalted chicken stock (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, cut in cubes
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese or Gruy?re cheese (10 oz)
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham (about 10 oz)
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices (1-inch thick) French bread
- Cornichons, if desired
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat until sizzling. Cook onions in butter 13 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are light golden brown. Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds. Sprinkle flour on onion mixture; cook and stir constantly 1 minute. Slowly stir in chicken stock. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream cheese; stirring constantly with whisk until smooth. Stir in half-and-half until blended. Slowly add 2 cups of the cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until cheese is melted. Stir in ham, 2 teaspoons of the Dijon mustard and the salt; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, set oven control to broil. Place French bread slices on ungreased cookie sheet. Spread remaining 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard evenly on cut sides of bread. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Broil with tops 5 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or just until cheese is melted and golden brown. Watch carefully so cheese does not burn.
- Serve soup topped with bread slices and cornichons.