- Preparation time
- 60 mins
- Cooking time
- 25 mins
- 18 people
- February 12, 2016
Little lemon sponge cake hearts.
Spoil that special someone with the delicate heart-shaped sponge cakes. What’s not to love?
Little lemon sponge cake hearts
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 25g butter, melted
- 1/2 x 300ml tub thickened cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar mixture
- 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 5.5cm-deep, 23cm x 33cm (top) roasting pan. Line with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above edges of pan on all sides.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla and lemon rind on high speed for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and creamy, and sugar has dissolved. Sift flours together 3 times. Using a large metal spoon, fold sifted flours into mixture. Fold in boiling water and melted butter. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until sponge springs back when lightly touched. Line a wire rack with baking paper. Turn sponge, top-side up, onto wire rack. Cover with a clean tea towel. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make Candied lemon: Line a baking tray with baking paper. Using a zester, remove rind from lemons. Place sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Add lemon rind. Simmer for 10 minutes or until rind is translucent. Remove from heat. Using tongs, carefully transfer rind to prepared tray. Using a fork, carefully spread rind to separate Set aside for 10 minutes or until set.
- Using a 4cm x 4.5cm heart-shaped cutter, cut cake into 18 hearts. Cut each heart in half horizontally. Spread each base with 3 teaspoons cream. Top with 1 teaspoon lemon curd. Sandwich with cake tops. Dust with icing sugar and top with candied lemon. Serve.