- Preparation time
- 30 mins
- Cooking time
- 90 mins
- 8 people
- April 29, 2016
Mediterranean Egg Casserole.
Infuse your kitchen with the flavors of the Mediterranean, and bake up this delicious savory dish. Great to serve for brunch or as a special family dinner.
Mediterranean Egg Casserole
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 6 cups cubed (1-inch) French baguette
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese (6 oz)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (6 oz) Progresso™ marinated artichoke hearts, drained well and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, chopped
- 10 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. In 8-inch nonstick pan, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until slightly softened. Add spinach, and cook about 1 minute or until starting to wilt.
- In baking dish, layer half of the baguette, 1 cup of the feta cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the bell pepper mixture, artichokes, olives and sun-dried tomato. Layer remaining baguette, and top with remaining 1/2 cup feta cheese. In large bowl, beat eggs and milk with whisk; beat in pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Pour over bread mixture, pressing down slightly. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and center is just set. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.