- March 18, 2016
Sausage and Apple-Stuffed Squash Recipe.
If you want a quick and easy dinner, it’s hard to get better than a stir-fry and some roasted vegetables. But if you add just one more step to combine the two, you can get something that looks really put-together and impressive even though it’s barely any more work. That’s what this recipe basically is: take a very basic stir-fry with sausage and vegetables, and then put it inside some roasted squash to mix the flavors and automatically up the presentation value.Print
Sausage and Apple-Stuffed Squash Recipe
- 1 lb. sausages, casings removed;
- 2 apples, cored and chopped;
- 1 onion, finely chopped;
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped;
- 4 oz. mushrooms, chopped;
- 1 egg, beaten;
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded;
- 2 cloves garlic, minced;
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage;
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon;
- 2 tbsp. olive oil;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Brush the inside of the acorn squash with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash on a baking sheet, cut side up, and roast for 30 minutes, until the flesh is fork-tender.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet placed over a medium-high heat.
- Cook the sausage until browned and set aside.
- Add the onions, celery, garlic, and mushrooms to the skillet, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the apples and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the mixture with cinnamon and sage, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Combine the meat, the apple mixture, and the beaten egg, and mix well.
- Divide the stuffing evenly among the squash halves.
- Place the squash back in the oven for another 15 minutes.