- Preparation time
- 15 mins
- Cooking time
- 105 mins
- 4 people
- May 13, 2016
Skillet-Roasted Whole Chicken with Lemon and Potatoes.
Roast a whole chicken with fresh sage and lemon slices for a flavorful twist on dinner.
Skillet-Roasted Whole Chicken with Lemon and Potatoes
- 1 lb small potatoes
- Dash kosher (coarse) salt
- 1 lemon, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 whole chicken (4 lb)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Cut potatoes into halves, or into quarters if larger; place cut side down in 10-inch cast iron skillet. Sprinkle potatoes with dash salt. Layer about 5 lemon slices over top.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; remove any giblets. Stuff cavity of chicken with any remaining lemon slices. In small bowl, stir together sage, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper and olive oil. Rub sage-garlic mixture beneath breast skin of chicken and all over outside of chicken skin. Place chicken on bed of potatoes and lemon.
- Roast about 1 hour 30 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 165°F. Let chicken rest about 15 minutes before carving.