- Preparation time
- 35 mins
- Cooking time
- 65 mins
- 9 people
- April 27, 2016
Creamy Tomato Soup.
Serve your family this tangy creamy tomato soup decorated with croutons and basil leaves – made with Progresso™ chicken broth.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups Progresso™ reduced-sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton) or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 can (28 oz) no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Croutons, if desired
- Additional chopped fresh basil leaves, if desired
- In 3- to 4-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, pepper, salt and garlic; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add broth, wine, 1/4 cup basil and the tomatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- In blender, place one-third of tomato mixture. Cover; blend on high speed until smooth. Pour into large bowl; cover to keep warm. Repeat twice with remaining tomato mixture. Stir whipping cream into soup. Garnish individual servings with croutons and additional basil.